August 15-17, 2014
Winter Island, Salem, MA
Please join us for the tenth annual Mass Bay Striper Shootout organized by New England Kayak Fishing. The event will be centered on Winter Island in Salem, Massachusetts on August 15th through the 17th and is a catch, photo, and release tournament. The details and rules are below. Details and rules are subject to change. Please check this page again prior to the tournament for any changes or additions or stay informed on the NEKF forum
* Eligibility:The 2014 Mass Bay Striper Shootout is open to kayak anglers age 18 and over. (under 18 in Junior class)
* Registration: The registration fee of $70.00 ($60.00 for Supporting Members) is due on or before August 1. Any entry received after August 1 will be an additional $10.00. All entries must be received before August 15. Liability waivers must be signed & turned in to a tournament official prior to launching in person at the captain's meeting held on Winter Island. Registration fee includes a BBQ held following the tournament.
* This year we will be selling tickets for the BBQ for guests of registered participants (you get 1 included with your registration). Adults are $12.50 children under 12 are $6.00
* We are also selling extra T-Shirts for those who want them. The cost is $20 and the graphics will be similar to the 2011/2012 design.
* There is a junior division for anglers under 18, details are below. There is a $40 registration fee for the junior division, and a waiver signed by a parent is required.
* Safety: All registered anglers are required to wear a PFD and observe Coast Gaurd and Massachusetts Boating laws.
* All anglers are required to follow all Massachusetts fishing regulations. For more information about MA saltwater regulations, look here: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_index.htm
* All anglers 16 and older are required to have a Massachusetts saltwater fishing license or a license from a reciprocal state. Licenses are $10 for resident and non-resident anglers. Check here for more information: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_permits.htm
* Mandatory Captain's Meeting: Captains' meetings will be held Friday August 15th from 5pm -8pm on Winter Island. Anglers must attend this meeting prior to launching for the tournament and all fees (camp site and registration) must be paid in full. Angler should file a float plan that includes emergency contact information.
* Tournament Start Time and End: The tournament start time is August 15th following the captains meeting and registration. Weigh in will start at 10:00AM August 18th, and you must be in the weigh in line by 12:00PM, August 17 to weigh in your catch.The weigh in will be followed by a bbq and trophy ceremonies.
* Radios and Cell Phones: Are allowed and encouraged
* Kayaks powered by paddle, pedal, or electric motors only. If you have an electric motor, check local boating laws to be certain you are in compliance.
* There will be four divisions for entry in the tournament, open class, artificial, fly fishing only and Junior (Special rules apply).
* Open class: The use of artificial, live bait or dead bait, and chumming is allowed.
* Artificial: Any artificial lure- no bait- no tube and live worm. No bait or chum allowed on kayak.
* Fly Fishing class: Fly division is for fly fishing only, no bait, spinning, conventional or non fly fishing rods & reels are allowed on or in your kayak.
* Prohibited: The use of an explosive device to stun or kill fish is not allowed. All MA fishing regulations must be obeyed.
* Fishing Locations: The fishing locations for this tournament will be in the waters of Massachusetts Bay within a 30 mile radius centering at Winter Island in Salem, Massachusetts.
Scoring and Additional Rules
* Scoring: Longest fish wins. In the event of a tie, the second largest fish of the participants that are tied will determine the winner. A tie beyond that will go to third largest fish and so on. Because of this, it is very important to document every fish you wish to submit for judging.
* This is a catch, photo, & release event. Cameras can be digital, disposable or other. It is up the angler to have pictures to view by the weigh in. Please bring USB port cables for digital cams. Also, if your camera requires special software to access the images, it will be necessary to bring that software. For non digital cameras or any other style camera, anglers must have the film developed and brought back in time for weigh in.
* Judging will be done from all submitted photos. Your kayak must be (at least partly) visible in the photo, along with the supplied identifier. NEKF will hand out an identifier at the captain's meeting. Anglers should write down the length of each fish caught to the nearest 1/4". Length is from the lips to the tip of the unpinched tail. Photos should show the fish with the supplied identifier. Anglers should make their best effort to show the fish in it's entirety.
In the event of a dispute or unforeseen rule question, event judges do their best to make a fair ruling. Judges decisions are final.
Trophies will be awarded for the top 3 places in each category.
A waiver must be submitted at the captains meeting.
They must fish with an adult at all times.
They are eligible to fish during daylight hours only. (5:00AM to 8:30PM is Daylight)
Tandem kayaks are ok in all divisions including the junior division. Junior participants enter one fish, in the event of a tie, the second fish will determine the winner.
Beyond the BBQ, captains bags and free shirt for all participants, there will be a giant raffle held after the trophy ceremony. Each tournament participant will receive one raffle ticket good for the raffle. Additional tickets will NOT be sold for this giveaway. Please visit the sponsors websites, links can be found on the home page. There will be some additional special raffle items to benefit the charities directly where tickets can be purchased. Must be checked in by 12pm & present to be eligible.
Please remember our sponsors, they help make this event happen, so let's make sure that they get our support.