When A Sit On Top Kayak Takes on enough water.....

Discussion in 'Kayak safety' started by The Riddler, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JKay

JKay Active Member

Will it fit in the round center hatch in the Revo? If yes, do you remember the brand? I should probably pick one up.
  2. prospector

prospector Well-Known Member YakPack

"Not for me but in case someone else needs it." Really Flyak! Not for you? LMBO!
    hooked260 likes this.
  3. flyak

flyak Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm good on the launches. The beach landings are crash and burn sometimes.:D
    macawbird, hooked260 and prospector like this.
  4. prospector

Suggestion for those of you who remove your drain plug: I do the same sometimes but I take a bungee cord and stretch it around my seat to remind me that something just isn't right! In short it reminds me that I took my plug out and let drain over time ... The bungee tells me to put the plug back in the hull. Works every time!
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    billybass likes this.
  5. Bluefinn18

Bluefinn18 Well-Known Member YakPack

Yes. Not sure where I got this one.
    IMG_1525.JPG IMG_1526.JPG
    Knot-Yet and JKay like this.
  6. JKay

JKay Active Member

Thanks Bluefinn. Appreciate it!
  7. slappy

slappy Moderator Staff Member YakPack

Hobies now have foam flotation in them. i think more manufacturers are doing that.
    beef78 likes this.
  8. flyak

flyak Well-Known Member

Damn you Prospector! Ill post a story tomorrow on CR post.
    prospector likes this.
  9. prospector

Damn you Prospector! Ill post a story tomorrow on CR post.

I'm waiting with baited breath! LOL! I bet it's going to be a doozy!

prospector
  10. flyak

flyak Well-Known Member

So I launched yesterday and fished. Oecean was washing machine like with winds. Water over the bow and mucho hull slapping through the water. Tough paddling and really unstable yak. After two hours, I open center hatch for a an electrolyte drink and I see 3 inches of water. Holy shit. I call my friend Rod on the radio and ask him to please come over. Ill tell him my situation and ask him to check if my drain plug is in.
    Nope. He tightens it and asks me if I want to head in, about a mile plus out in 185ft of water. He gives me a water bottle and I cut the top off and bale as much water as I can. We continue to fish and do catch some. He asked me what I meant when I said dam you Prospector. And I told him about this thread.:D
    prospector likes this.
  11. prospector

flyak ... glad it turned out to be a no harm done issue! And the pump is now in the boat or perhaps the bungee cord is hooked around the seat? :rolleyes::p
  12. flyak

flyak Well-Known Member

On my tarpon I am using, the plug is in the stern. Like my old OK prowler location of the drain plug, on the top of the bow. When I load it on the car or truck, I can see it. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.
    If did carry one, it would be inside the hull.
    prospector and beef78 like this.
  13. BFVSFOREVER

BFVSFOREVER New Member

I went to move my kayak yesterday. I had it tilted to one side so water would drain out of the scupper holes. When I tipped it to drain the little bit of water remaining I heard sloshing. The kayak was 1/2 full of water. How? All plugs were in place and the hatch lid was tight, plus it was not under water because it was tilted. Then I saw it. 2 rod holders behind the seat. I took a long stick and put it in one of the rod holders and sure enough when it touched bottom it measured the full depth of the kayak. How do I fix that? Or should I? I am new to this and plan to only fish local lakes and ponds to start. That hand held bilge pump is sounding pretty good to me now.
    I found that one in the picture (Seattle Sports) on Amazon.com
    Last edited: May 10, 2017