Transporting 2 kayaks advice

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by SirFishALot, Jun 14, 2017.

1. SirFishALot

SirFishALot New Member

I have an Ascend Fs12T kayak and I strap it down to my 2002 Acura MDX. I have a bunch of friends that want to go out with me so I'm going to buy another kayak. How would I transport them both? Would I just strap them both down next to each other like I do the one? Should I buy a J cradle? Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. billybass

billybass NEKF BOD YakPack

3. RIyak

RIyak Well-Known Member YakPack

J racks or a trailer
  4. Adamfishes

Adamfishes Well-Known Member YakPack

I use a hullavator for my hobie and a slide and glide on the other side for my tarpon 100. Works pretty easily. I actually have a spare hullavator but I'm afraid to put it on the roof rack as it may exceed the weight capacity.
  5. RIyak

RIyak Well-Known Member YakPack

I was gonna get he hullavator pro but it weighs 40 pounds and that with my kayak would put me over my racks capacity. Went with the Malone mega wing and a stinger load assist. I also have a Malone trailer. I pick which one to use based on where I'm launching from.
  6. prospector

prospector Well-Known Member YakPack

Have 2500 Silverado with 6.5 foot bed which has a tool box mounted on the front of the bed for the first 16" .... so ... Short hauls I use a bed extender level set just above the level of the bed of my truck to haul 2 predators ... granted they don't lay flat like I would prefer but for short haul that works. Long hauls two predators go up top on the extender high mount and the back rack in Thule saddles or on a trailer.
  7. kenmathis

kenmathis Well-Known Member YakPack

I load two Rev's on top of my Honda Civic. It is a bit over the rating but has worked fine. Strap them down directly to the roof top bars.
    slappy and hooked260 like this.
  8. JigMaster5

JigMaster5 Well-Known Member YakPack

J-racks, straps, + front & rear tie downs. I used to use rope for tie downs until I had a bracket fail on 93... kayak instantly rotated 90 degrees while at highway speed. I've popped the straps before, too... Luckily when cinching down (not excessively hard either)...they were just old. The extra tie downs are mostly there to keep it in place should anything fail. I use a rope ratcheting pulley system now for front & rear... super easy once you get used to it.
  9. Adamfishes

Adamfishes Well-Known Member YakPack

I just started using normal straps as front and back tie downs, makes things easier. Not sure if it's "correct" or not but it works for me.