Steamer box

Discussion in 'Fly Yakkin' started by beef78, Nov 5, 2016.

1. beef78

beef78 Well-Known Member YakPack

Fly guys: what fly box are we using for larger streamers? Some of the trout flies I fish are up to 5 inches and my normal fly boxes are pretty cramped.
  2. flyak

flyak Well-Known Member

You can pick up the foam hinged boxes. They have a magnetic lock and float. 5 in flies, no problem.
    hooked260 and beef78 like this.
  3. beef78

I think I am just going to have to dump my minimalist flystyle. Right now I have a small chest pack that I can fit two fly boxes in at most. I'm going to ask santa for a nice Vedavoo sling pack. That will probably help me.
  4. JigMaster5

JigMaster5 Well-Known Member YakPack

i've tried some of the expensive fly boxes - not overly impressed by them. Even the large ones are too small for decent sized flies.

Cabela's sells a cheap poly fly box <$5.

Poly Fly Box >> Slit Foam Fly Box $4.49 7 1/4" L x 3 5/8" W x 1 1/4" H

I have 2. 1 for storage and 1 to bring out in the kayak with me. For the kayak, I put a rubber band on the box and then put the box in a ziploc with other stuff. Works for me! :D
    beef78 likes this.
  5. albcorb

albcorb New Member

this one. my local fly shop has them for around $20

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      2.6 MB
      Views:
  6. beef78

That's one of those cliff boxes? Cheapest have seen them was like 45 bucks. They are pretty awesome, though.
  7. beef78

What's your local fly shop?
  8. albcorb

albcorb New Member

Cotes Fly Shop in Leicester,MA open Wednesday thru Saturday 10 - 6, online and on facebook
    rod building supplier also
    beef78 likes this.