Fat guy talk!

Discussion in 'Chit chat' started by Tony_Noon, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Tony_Noon

Tony_Noon Well-Known Member YakPack

Beef78, if I didn't log my food, I would overeat. I always underestimate the calories in my food. I am using "My Fitness Pal" from under armor, the great thing about it is that almost all of the food you find out there is already listed, and if it isn't you can add it yourself. The hard part is getting into the habit of logging your food.

Down 9 pounds from my start. Hit 360.1 today.

(When you are as obese as I am it is easy to loose weight at first but it starts coming in dribs and drabs later on.)
    macawbird likes this.
  2. Tony_Noon

I am about ten feet tall if I grow into my weight!
    MrLimpet likes this.
  3. macawbird

macawbird Well-Known Member YakPack

Drink a ton of water- no more soda.... and slice up your veggies- pretend they are chips!
    Tony_Noon likes this.
  4. Tony_Noon

Baby carrots are my friend!

I drink 8 to 10 cups of water a day, more if I am paddling. Two of the large squeeze bottles are 8 cups so I refill one of those and use it to keep track.
  5. prospector

prospector Well-Known Member YakPack

Hey Tony ... A year or so ago I was diagnosed borderline type 2 diabetes. Solution was either various prescription pills or diet and exercise. I chose the latter because I don't like to take medication if at all possible. I don't like shots(read that as needles either). Anyway now I eat a lot of salads for supper with all sorts of raw veggies and a little grilled chicken for protein. I'm off red meat (beef, lamb and pork) and use chicken and fish as well as beans ... not the baked beans but black beans, chick beans, garbanzo beans. The one thing I know that would help me even more is to drop the bread. I still eat my share of bread but have been able to reduce or eliminate all other white flour products. For snacks I use Organic Raw or lightly roasted and unsalted cashews, walnuts ... but not peanuts. I was told the peanuts have way too much fat so I don't eat them ... but was told a little natural peanut butter like Teddy's is OK. Didn't make sense to me but I trust my nutritionist. I do have an occasional cheat night with a small amount of ice cream ... It has been my vice forever! I haven't stopped drinking but I have limited it considerably. I have slowly gone from 248 to 223 today. If I dropped the white flour products it would come off more quickly. Oh ... and I almost forgot ... because I am now used to doing it this way I avoid the center isles in the grocery store because of all the processed crap. Processed means high salt, high sugar(worst being high fructose syrup and all its pseudo names, no artificial sweeteners for me either!). Do you drink 'diet' sodas? STOP!!! They are one of the worst things you could drink. You would be better drinking a real sugar soda than any diet soda out there! The advertisers of those sodas make it sound really good for you ... NOT!!!!!!!!!! Good luck my friend. Hope to see you on the water again ... a thinner healthier you!
    prospector aka Mike Furness
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM
  6. kenmathis

kenmathis Well-Known Member YakPack

I was stuck in Korea for 2 weeks and was amazed how great I felt. Lots of veggies, meats, rice, and no bread. All fresh foods, no packaged crap. I have stuck with the diet for a couple years and I love it.
    Tony_Noon likes this.
  7. Tony_Noon

That is what I think pretty much everyone's recommended diet should be. I am working towards that. I still crave the processed crap, that is something you don't realize at first when you diet: that stuff is physically addictive!

I had a craving for a McDonald's hamburger the other day, first time in probably 6 weeks. I thought I was going to be sick! I'm definitely getting better. The big thing was I survived Easter dinner without blowing my diet. Down 11 pounds.

Oh and I have been kayaking a lot. That counts as working out!
    prospector, kenmathis and Sparky74 like this.
  8. Schooner

Schooner Member

After I had my knee and shoulder replaced, I joined a gym to rehab them. I gravitated to the Concept2 rowing machine there. http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers They are used all over the world, have a great website and an online log book to keep track of time and distance and speed.

They are $900 new, last years, and hardly depreciate - maybe $100 a year - far cheaper than the gym. It also saves time to work out at home instead of driving to the gym and back, etc. They have sliding seats, so it works your legs as well as your back, shoulder, arms etc. It is also aerobic depending on how fast you go.
    It is a good way to lose weight and get in shape for kayaking or rowing. Put them in front of smart TV or laptop to keep it from getting boring - I watch movies. Can find them sometimes on Craig's list.
  9. Tony_Noon

I actually love rowing (More than kayaking I am ashamed to say!). Space is an issue at my house, so I was never able to have a machine. I like the idea though. My local gym doesn't have any machines either.
  10. Schooner

Schooner Member

[​IMG]
    Store like this - no bolts
    Tony_Noon likes this.
  11. Tony_Noon

I am hovering between being down 9 and 11 pounds. One day I am up the next I am down. I think that is the result of Easter. I am still on the diet, but when you have things like homemade potato salad and Mac & Cheese, it is hard to get a true reading on what those calories are. Especially if you didn't make them yourself. One thing I am running into is the back of my thighs are killing me. I think it is either muscle strain from lifting the kayak or getting in and out of the boat after not having done it so long. I have a predator 13, so I have a tendency to try and stand up in the boat rather than rotating out side saddle, and I think that is just too much strain for the muscles in my legs right now.
  12. prospector

prospector Well-Known Member YakPack

Hey Tony ... Are your thighs just sore or cramping? If cramping it is not so much the standing as it is the lack of your water intake ... and I do mean water ... not coffee, protein water or vitamin water ... just plain water. Be sure to drink plenty ... and drink before you are thirsty! Stay hydrated my friend!
    prospector
  13. Tony_Noon

definitely sore. I am drinking 64 ounces of water a day at least which is what is recommended by the app for me. I still cramp up in my back occasionally but for the most part I am doing well. I keep my seat in the low position for paddling purposes, so it is actually pretty difficult to get my legs in a good position to stand. I think it puts a lot of strain in the muscles in the back of my legs. I should probably paddle from the high position but I really don't like that as much.I'll need to get used to it with the PDL.
    prospector likes this.