2016 Tandem Island

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by duntonsdragons, Jun 27, 2017.

1. I'll probably regret it, but I am selling my 2016 Ivory dune Tandem Island. Comes with trampolines, cart, and all the usual stuff (sail, akas, etc.)
    Has the vantage seats and blue fins on the mirage drives. Currently has a lowrance elite-5 installed, but is not included with the sale.
    Has typical beach rash. Everything works perfectly.
    Asking $6000 OBO.
    Trades considered for 15ft Hobie power skiff or Boston Whaler.
    Pics to follow.
    beef78 likes this.
  2. Tony_Noon

Tony_Noon Well-Known Member YakPack

Would you take payments? :) This is my dream boat.
    duntonsdragons likes this.
  3. This was my dream kayak too, but I've always wanted a boat and this is the only way I can justify it.
    Payment plan... make payments while I still use it? Haha
    Tony_Noon likes this.
  4. Tony_Noon

Yeah I would love to own that but even with payments, I don't think I could afford it in a reasonable time period. I also don't have a place to store it. I'll just dream.
    beef78 likes this.
  5. Rockport24

Rockport24 NEKF BOD YakPack Board of Directors

I thought you hated hobies Tony? :p
  6. Tony_Noon

I don't hate them, I just couldn't get comfortable in that old Outback. It's a long story but I am in kayaks because of the Tandem Island.

I fit in the Predator and it fits my needs pretty well, but I am not married to Old Town.
  7. Rockport24

The tandem island much narrower than the outback, isn't it?
    beef78 likes this.
  8. Tony_Noon

Yes, but I believe the seat in the 2016 is the frame seat. I had problems with the old style seats. This isn't the boat for me at my current size, but I love the idea of it. Nothing like getting out and sailing. I also would feel much better about taking longer trips out to the isles of shoals or heading out of the mouth of the Merrimack. (Depending on the day.)
  9. Somebody buy this. I want a boat!
    Tony_Noon likes this.
  10. Tony_Noon

Sorry. However, if you are interested, My Mom has a 16' Aluminum boat (I don't remember if it is a starcraft or a Sea nymph) with a 40 HP mariner four stroke motor set up for striper fishing. It hasn't seen water in 10 years but it has been stored in a garage. I can put you in touch if you want to see it.
    duntonsdragons likes this.
  11. Rockport24

The mouth of the merrimack?? HA!
  12. Tony_Noon

Yeah, the tandem island would be fine to go through there most days. Just avoid the out going tide with an incoming wind. Mind you, that would be in full sail mode with the outriggers.
  13. Rockport24

Ok have fun! Honestly I think that launching from the front beach by the town lots wouldn't be bad on the calm days, then you could run the beach..
  14. Tony_Noon

I have been through the mouth in an 18 foot sail boat, 14' aluminum boats and my Dad used to go through in a 10' skiff. You have to pick your moments for sure. I would not want to go through in a regular kayak, but the tandem island is pretty much a full on Hobie cat. Pick your moment, and make sure things are in your favor and you will be fine. The only issue I can see with beach launching on the Plum island side is most of the areas I know with easy public access, the waves break almost on the beach and there is a pretty severe undertow there. I would probably would have been okay with launching in my predator 13 there, but I think I would have issues with the PDL. Maybe if I set it up in Paddle mode and kept it to one rod stored horizontally.

Edit: actually I have been through the mouth several times in a 10' little runabout as well, I forgot all about that! :)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  15. I've been through the mouth of the Merrimack and past some pretty good chop crossing the east end of the cape cod canal. Never worried about flipping. I've taken some good waves from the side as well. The best part about this kayak is you can continue to fish even when a boater goes by at full speed 20 feet away while waving hello because he doesn't know he's being a dick. No need to turn and face the oncoming waves.
    Tony_Noon likes this.